Saturday, April 11, 2009

What I miss about Sierra Vista...

We are finally unpacked and I am beginning to feel like this is home again, but there are a few things about Sierra Vista that I miss:


1. Weather, weather, and weather! It was 75 degrees when I left Arizona and it snowed in Utah the first night here. It made me so depressed. The kids and I went to the park in January with just long sleeves... no sweaters or jackets to speak of. The only cold week in the winter was the week family visited... go figure.


2. "Creek Park" That is what my kids called it at least. We had only discovered it in January, but after we found this awesome park that nobody went to, we were there 3 times a week. It had everything: a slide/jungle gym, fire pits, a creek running through it and lots of rocks to throw in the creek (a particular favorite with my kids). I am one of those parents who is tired of the park as soon as I get there, but I can stay at this park for hours and have. We would often bring lunch and meet Blake there for a picnic. The best part... we hardly EVER saw anyone there. It felt like our own little playground. I will miss that very much.


















3. The Bread Basket and Rodolfo's. Anyone who lives in Utah knows how hard it is to find good Mexican food. Rodolfo's was that hole-in-the-wall place that served the best Mexican food... and their breakfast burritos... I miss them so. The Bread Basket was an authentic German bakery that served the same breads I remember and loved in Germany all those years ago. Their pretzels, Bavarian Rye loaves and apple strudel were my favorites. I would often pick them up on our way to "Creek Park" for lunch.

4. The traffic, or lack thereof. There is no I-15 rush hour that is to be avoided at all costs. Enough said.

5. Friends. Of course, with every move, we make friends and lose friends. Which is hard. There are always people that I wish I could just put in my pocket and take with me wherever we go. One of the benefits of moving is to be able to meet all kinds of interesting people with all sorts of experiences, but the hard part is leaving them behind... many times I know I'll never see them again (At least in person. Thank you internet!) and that is heartbreaking.

6. All the sights. Now when you think border of Mexico, you probably don't think that there is a ton to do, but there is actually quite a bit. Our kids loved Tombstone, Coronado NM, Chiricahua NM, Tucson, Phoenix (ok, it is 3 hours away, but it has so much to do). We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves in Sierra Vista and we will miss you! (Of course, we'll probably be back there in about 16 months anyway.... but still.)

3 comments:

Larry & Erica Evans said...

well, I know I have missed you ever since YOU moved away! We may....MAY....go to Utah some time this year. who knows when. we are trying to put bids on some houses in Manteca at the moment, so we will see. I will update you girly! I am glad you are at least in a state that we might go to this year. AZ....not so much!

Makenna said...

Dont worry - we will come see you guys this year - around October.

Stewart Family said...

Are you talking about me in number 5? We miss you guys and hope to see you again soon. I have to meet your cute kids. Hope you are doing well and glad you had a fun trip!!