Sunday, February 22, 2009

One Big House

On the way to Phoenix we stopped by Casa Grande NM. It was a small area, only a few acres, but it was interesting. The real reason I mention this place is this... you see that roof? It was built in 1932 and it cost $35,000. Which was a huge amount of money, but there is more. Every few years they have to paint the roof. A couple of years ago they painted the roof and it cost... get this... $100,000! Your tax dollars at work my friends! Give me half of that and I'd still profit $48,000. Believe me I'm all for preserving historic sites but that is ridiculous!

Another thing I thought was interesting was that the local Native Americans in this area are called the Hohokam. They were called that because when some missionaries came into the area and asked the locals who used to live in these structures they said "hohokam" which meant "those who have gone before" or "no longer." So we adopted that name. I just think it is funny how these things happen sometimes.





0 comments: