Saturday, March 27, 2010

You're The Best! (ok, 3rd... but STILL!!!)

Today Logan participated in his first karate tournament. I had signed him up to compete in padded swords and flag sparring. He was out the first round in padded swords since he kept going for the kid's legs, lol. He has always loved flag sparring and did well. He placed third out of 20-25 kids. He was really motivated after seeing other kids getting trophies in the padded sword division and him getting just a medal. He kept telling me "Mommy, I want to win a trophy." "I really want a trophy." I told him that he could try to win one by taking all the other kids' flags and boy did he set himself to the task!! He did have a mini meltdown when he lost to the last kid, because he thought he didn't get a trophy. Crazy kid! He didn't care at all about getting taken out the first round of padded swords! (We had to address grace in defeat after the tournament, lol.) Ultimately, he was elated to have won a trophy and is very proud of the fact that he did it himself. This was Logan's first sport event/game that he has ever participated in and I am happy that he feels a measure of success.

As to the video... I have had this song running through my head all week as we were preparing for the tournament and I really couldn't help myself. It is a home movie, so it isn't really great quality. I saw parents out there with tripod set-ups! I kid you not!!! (When you see how packed these tournaments are and how there is no room to even walk, it seems ridiculous.) Making this was a hoot!! Here I pay homage to The Karate Kid with my own karate kid:

2 comments:

Joy For Your Journey said...

Oh, that is so cute!! And shows it doesn't make much to motivate a child. Just hold out a trophy. :-) I also read the previous post about your trip to BYU. How nice was that!! What a great experience. I am glad you were able to have that.

Darci said...

that is so cool- good job, logan!